Wednesday 5 December 2012

Christmas Adverts

It is, of course, that time of year again when Christmas is becoming eagerly anticipated, and accompanied with this excitement come all of the good, the bad and the ugly Christmas adverts.
This year I have to admit they have been surprisingly better than usual. 
After the Coca Cola advert was first sighted and Twitter went in to a frenzy there came the repetitive 'Mum stressing about the Christmas dinner' ones from every single supermarket and Pringles clearly showing that they are not doing so well as they have used the same advert from about 3 years ago! 
I have also recently questioned why Iceland feel the need to make everything in miniature form? Who really needs a bite size lasagne, I don't know! 
Of course, John Lewis have enthralled us all again with their romantic snowman advert with a heart rending version of 'The Power of Love', (just to make sure you still have your emotions intact) and Waitrose have done a slightly controversial 'unglamorous' advert with Delia and Heston.
One video that I was looking forward to was the first ever Topshop Christmas film, 'Winter Wonderland'. They have been ranting and raving about this on the website for the past few weeks and even launched a twitter teaser for fans to hashtag #whosthatgirl and guess who the 'famous face' would be. 
When it was finally revealed to be Kate Bosworth I thought to myself 'this is going to be good'. Unfortunately I was wrong and I have been extremely disappointed by my favourite high-street brand.
It has to be the most boring and pointless film that I have seen in a long time. 2 and a half minutes of my life wasted watching Kate Bosworth sing (not so well) a version of Walking in a Winter Wonderland.
I just don't understand the meaning behind it, I didn't see any Topshop clothing and it isn't even recognizable as a Christmas film until some awfully edited in fake snow begins to fall.
I even thought for a moment that some extra members of the crew in the background had been filmed by mistake until I realized that these randomers were actually supposed to be there in awe of her poorly sung performance.
She looks absolutely stunning of course and will make a great face for the brand but maybe stick to the day job with the singing, Kate. Not impressed. Judge the performance for yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment